Slow Cooker Carnitas {recipe}

8.30.2015

Finishing these off under the broiler for a few minutes will give you delicious, caramelized, can't-get-enough Carnitas!  




My slow cooker and I are pretty tight these days.  I try to use it a couple times a week to myself a bit of a "break" on the whole cooking and big kitchen clean-up deal.  I'm always trying to find another winning slow cooker recipe to add to my rotation.. I tried these pork carnitas for the first time a couple weeks ago and they were a hit!  I stuffed my face with at least four of them.  They're juicy, flavorful, and are SO good topped with some "corn salsa".



Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
adapted from Damn Delicious

  • 3lb pork shoulder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 5 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
  • juice of one lime

Mix together the salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and chili powder in a small bowl.  Rub all over the pork shoulder and place into the slow cooker.  Place garlic, onion, orange juice, liquid smoke, and lime juice into the slow cooker.  Cook on low for 8 hour or on high for 4-5 hours.  

Preheat broiler.  Remove pork shoulder from the slow cooker.  Shred and spread out on a baking sheet.  Coat with a little bit of juice from the slow cooker.  Broil until edges are crispy, 3-4 minutes.  Be careful not to burn!  Serve immediately!

*We enjoy these on pan-warmed corn tortillas and topped with a mix of corn/diced red onion/lime juice/cilantro!  You can certainly top with whatever you prefer - guacamole, sour cream, salsa, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!